Monday, March 17, 2014

School On The Brain

Conversations with/ comments from Julia this morning:

 "Mom, I think if Mrs. H agrees, I am going to ask her if I can stay in for recess and work on my read to self journal.  I am nervous that I will not have time to finish it after my morning work and it is due on Friday."   Sometimes I think she has just the right combination of motivation and anxiety...other times I worry the anxiety/worry will overtake her. 

"Mrs. H has been very generous with our class recently.  For example, I needed to finish my Patriot/Loyalist writing so she gave me extra time when I finished my math worksheet."

"Mom, there is a fourth grade student on my bus who can be verbally abusive!  She is always swearing and she made a little second grader cry!"

"I am not looking forward to art class today.  Last week, we were very rude to Mrs. W when she was teaching us. "  When I asked Julia if she was being rude she said, "Of course not but when Mrs. H talked to our class after art she said," I am very disappointed right now."  That means she is mad at all of us because if she was only disappointed with a specific person or people she would have only spoken to them not the whole class."

Things I learned this morning:

1.  Julia had school on the brain.

2.  After every conversation I have with Julia I realize more and more how adult-like she sounds, despite being 9 years old.  It's interesting, sometimes funny and sometimes worrisome.

3.  I am continually amazed with her ability to use phrases and words that seem beyond her years appropriately in sentences...verbally abusive, specific person, for example, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment